At Satterlee Stephens LLP, we work toward preserving the wealth of individuals and family-owned companies by taking steps to minimize estate and income taxes. Our attorneys understand how to manage income, and the approaches to take to reduce or eliminate gift taxes, estate taxes, generation-skipping transfer taxes and fiduciary income taxes.
Our firm is highly trusted in areas of law concerning wealth preservation. For this reason, we receive a large portion of clients through referrals from CPAs, financial advisors and other attorneys.
Providing You The Tools To Preserve Your Wealth
Having lengthy experience managing the wealth of individuals and businesses in the New York metropolitan area and across the country, we understand how to use wills, trusts and other estate planning tools to allow for you to preserve your wealth and pass it on to those you choose with a minimum amount of taxes and expense. We understand the costs that arise when estate planning considerations are overlooked or when mistakes in planning occur.
Our lawyers properly administer wealth, and we make certain to shelter funds from taxation whenever possible. We create a plan that best fits your circumstances and make certain every contingency is covered.
The guidance we provide involves:
- Estate planning
- International estate planning
- Tax planning on a domestic and international level
- Estate and trust administration
- Charitable planning
- Creation of not-for-profit organizations
- Business succession planning
- Representation of family offices
Our law firm has a reputation for the close attention we pay to detail and to our clients' circumstances. With an in-depth understanding of business and corporate law, tax planning and probate law, we have the ability to guide you in making the right choices concerning your personal wealth and your business.
Satterlee Stephens LLP has worked with individuals, corporations and banks throughout the world. We structure worldwide assets in a manner designed to reduce taxation and expense. We have extensive knowledge regarding the legal means our clients have in sheltering income and assets from taxation through the use of tools such as trusts, the gifting of finances and assets, and the creation of corporations, nonprofit organizations and other entities for the purpose of saving on taxes and expense.
The Services An Estate Planning Attorney Can Provide
Satterlee Stephens LLP employs highly capable estate planning attorneys who understand every aspect of estate planning law and the concerns regarding business succession planning, estate taxation, corporate law, stock options and retirement plans and international estate planning concerns. The benefits we provide to you in our estate planning services include:
- Overseeing creation and implementation of your estate planning in its entirety. It's always beneficial to have an objective observer look over your entire estate plan and make certain every contingency is covered. Understanding the common mistakes others have made in setting up estate plans, we help you prevent such costly errors.
- We create an estate plan catered toward your needs and wishes. Our lawyers create the sorts of documentation that every estate plan requires, including wills, applicable trusts, powers of attorney and health care proxies. We review your business interests as well and make certain a plan is in place to keep the company operational in the event you are unable to run it yourself.
- We analyze the tax consequences of transfers of certain property or assets. Our services help in the minimization of taxation and expense.
- Our attorneys understand the requirements regarding transfers of property across international borders and strive to allow for such transactions to take place smoothly and cost-effectively. We understand federal, state and international law pertaining to estate preservation, distribution and taxation.
- The estate plan we put in place allows for your executors and beneficiaries to understand their rights and responsibilities when it pertains to the distribution of your estate.
Professional And Highly Competent Legal Representation
International estate and tax planning is becoming increasingly complex. We can continue to expect even closer scrutiny by the IRS and other regulatory agencies regarding income earned on foreign soil and international asset transactions involving U.S. citizens.
It's for this reason that knowledgeable and experienced estate planning and taxation attorneys are needed. Our lawyers at Satterlee Stephens LLP have the kind of qualifications you will require for such planning. We also ha
ve the litigation advocacy skills to defend you when allegations regarding international tax evasion and other extremely complex issues arise.
Attorneys Who Understand Regulatory Compliance
Among other federal laws recently passed, the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) puts in place a number of requirements regarding disclosure of information by foreign banks. These requirements include disclosing information to federal officials regarding accounts held by U.S. citizens.
Compliance with such rules has proven difficult for banks. U.S. citizens and corporations also need to be cognizant that account and transaction information regarding foreign accounts will be available for federal officials. It requires great care to make certain any transactions comply with all of the applicable laws.